HEALTH BENEFITS OF BITTER GOURD
Bitter gourd or bitter melon has various health benefits that can add a variety of richness in
our diet. In this article, we will discuss some health benefits of bitter gourd. Well, known health benefits of bitter gourd or bitter melon are its ability to manage or heal hemorrhoids, reduce or control diabetes and other health benefits which we will discuss in detail. Some people don’t like it because it’s bitter taste and doesn’t involve it in their daily food diet. People are not about its advantages or huge benefits for health.
WHAT IS BITTER MELON
Well, Bitter gourd or bitter melon is from the cucumber, gourds and melons family. Bitter melon
has rigid outside surface and harvested before ripening. It is most commonly harvested in the Carribean,
Asia and Africa. It has well-deserved name bitter gourd due to its bitter taste. It is also
known as (Karela) in an Indian language. Bitter melon or Bitter gourd is filled with essential
vitamins and anti-oxidants.
Some Health Benefits of Bitter Gourd
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BITTER GOURD
1. Skin Care – Bitter gourd os bitter melon possess anti-inflammatory functions. They improve the skin
infections such as psoriasis and ringworms, reduce the itchiness of the skin. People affected from infections
like ringworm can use or apply bitter gourd paste on the affected surface to heal it.
2. Asthma Relief – Bitter gourd has some anti-inflammatory properties for asthma relief. No. of researches has been done by researchers about its health benefits over asthma relief. It heals asthma conditions like bronchitis, rhinitis (hay, fever) and asthma. Bitter gourd possesses some anti-viral properties. It is recommended for asthma patients to eat bitter melon before going to sleep.
3. Acts as an Anti-fungal Agent – Bitter melon has some anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial
functions. It helps the human body to fight with various viral and bacterial infections. These functions
of bitter melon clear out toxins in our bloodstream.
4. Immune System – Bitter melon provides strength to the immune system. It has anti-oxidants properties
searches for virus and bacteria or free radicals in our body which weakens our immune system. They detect
these harmful micro-organisms and destroys them. As immune system helps us to deal with various health issues.
The everyday human body comes in contact with at least 40-50 viral and bacterial infections but due to
anti-oxidant properties of our immune system we are able to remain fit and bitter melon adds more
functionality to the immune system.
5. Prevents Cancer – Bitter melon is also called as an anti-carcinogenic and anti-tumor agent due to its
anti-oxidant properties. Studies or researches have shown that it prevents tumor growth for breast
cancer, cervical and prostate.
6. To Cure Hangover – Bitter melon can be used to cure or treat hangover due to over-consumption
of alcohol and because it possesses alcohol intoxication properties. It cleanses and repair liver
and kidney problems caused by excessive alcohol consumption.
7. Bitter gourd stop gout – Bitter gourd or bitter melon juice cleans liver. Bitter melon improves
blood circulation. It helps to clean kidney problems so that kidney gain back it’s normal functionality.
8. Cure Eye Problems – Bitter melon have beta-carotene properties to alleviate eye problems and
eye infections. If someone has the problem with eyesight and eye infections he must give a try to it.
9. Diabetes Mellitus – Bitter gourd possess plant insulin (hypoglycemic compound) which is good for lowering levels of urine and blood in our body. Bitter gourd improves tolerance of glucose in a body without
change or increase in insulin blood level.
10. Bitter gourd stops cholera – A person suffering from cholera during early stages can take
up to 2-3 teaspoonfuls juice of bitter gourd, mix with one teaspoonful of lime juice and two teaspoonfuls
of white onion juice can cure cholera.
11. Bitter gourd Kill Cancer Cells – Juices of bitter melon or bitter gourd contains enzymes that
help in lowering blood sugar levels, urine levels, transportation of sugar (Glucose) and cuts
off the energy supply to the cancer cells.
12. Treats Blood Disorders – Bitter melon is highly beneficial for the treatment of itching due
to toxemia and blood boils. It removes toxins from the bloodstream.
13. Digestion – Bitter melon or bitter gourd enhances digestion. It enhances the metabolism activity
and enzymes used in digestion process by the body.
14. HIV/AIDS – Bitter melon properties prevent further damaging of body cells. Supports our immune system to deal with HIV infections or HIV/AIDS weakens our immune system.
15. Constipation – A person taking regular consumption of bitter melon juice can prevent constipation.
16. Weight Loss – Bitter melon helps in attaining weight loss. Bitter melon or bitter gourd juice
is an ideal treatment or a way to weight loss.
17. Lowers bad cholesterol levels – Some nutritionist says that bitter melon is anti-inflammatory and
helps in lowering bad cholesterol levels. Bitter melon juice reduces the risks of stroke and heart
problems. Bitter melon juice is rich in potassium (K), also rich in folic acid and iron to keep
heart problems away.
18. For lustrous hair – Bitter gourd contains nutrients like Vitamin C, A, Zinc and Biotin which
spilled hair ends, removes dandruff. You can make a mixture of curd and bitter gourd juice and massage
on your scalp gently to see its benefits.
19. Respiratory Disorders – Bitter melon causes respiratory disorders like bronchitis, rhinitis and
cough problems. It has some anti-viral properties.
20. Maintains blood sugar levels – According to WHO over 300+ million people suffer from diabetes
nowadays. Bitter melon contains p-insulin which prevents diabetes. Bitter melon improves glucose uptake
and glycemic control.
21. Acne – Consumption of bitter melon removes acne. deep infections. It can be used for treating
ringworms, psoriasis, scabies infections etc.
22. Kidney and Bladder – Bitter melon and bitter gourd help in curing kidney stones. It cleanses
and purify the kidney and helps it to regain it’s lost functionality.
23. Naturally Energizes – Daily consumption of bitter gourd juice energizes our body and increase stamina.
24. Purifies Blood – Bitter melon juice removes toxins from bloodstream due to its anti-oxidant properties and
anti-microbial properties. Improves blood circulation and cures blood boils, acne or rashes etc.
25. Anti-Aging – Bitter melon juice has Vitamin C properties. It eliminates harmful free radicals
from the body and prevents aging. It also protects our skin from sun harmful UV radiations.
26. Oily Hair –If a person is suffering from excessive oily hair problems can use a mixture of apple
cider vinegar to remove excess oil from hair. You can also avoid consumption of oily food to avoid oily hair.
27. Rough and tangled hair – If you are suffering from rough and tangled hair you can use bitter gourd juice and
paste it on your hair and allow to soak for 20 minutes. It will smoothen your hair and texture soft.
28. Dry and Itchy Scalp – You can apply paste or juice of bitter gourd on your hair scalp to remove
to remove dryness. You can also mix bitter melon and banana and apply it on your hair
scalp to remove itchiness.
29. Healing Qualities – Bitter melon helps in preventing infections due to its anti-viral properties.
It heals wounds faster and controls blood clotting.
30. Skin Infections – Bitter gourd helps in treating or healing skin infections. Regular consumption on daily basis of bitter gourd helps us to prevent psoriasis and eczema.
USAGE – CAUTION
Don’t consume bitter gourd in high amount. As it is beneficial for health but excess is dangerous
which may cause abdominal pain and nausea. Premature labor pain can be seen in pregnant women
if consumed highly on daily basis. Try to consume it a little bit. Bitter gourd may cause emmenagogue
and effects of an abortifacient. It can cause irregular heart rhythm. They possess hypoglycemic.
They might affect your liver.